Sunday, February 11, 2007

Rain in Sydney


It started last night, the rain that is. They had been predicting rain for several days, but last night as I stepped out onto the platform at Milson Point in North Sydney, I walked into a deluge! My intention had been to stand on the platform and watch the trains go by as they passed onto the Sydney Habour Bridge on their way into the underground tracks in the CBD. The phrase "sheets of rain" fits the reality perfectly! It was coming down so hard that even the sheltered platform offer no relief. My intentions thwarted by the much needed rain, I scurried across the platform and jumped into another train going right back across the bridge. Several zig zags on various lines brought be to the bus station in Bondi Junction where I finally boarded (under cover) a 400 bus which brought me back to the Centre. That was Sunday night.


I write these words on Monday afternoon and it is still raining on and off. I guess all the prayers for rain have been heard and I hope that the down pour will alleviate the drought somewhat. The locals are quick to remind that we really need the rain in the catchment areas on the planes and that these coastal rains just run off the land. Well, I can't argue with that, but there sure has been a lot of run off in the last 18 hours!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rain is good for the drought Father. Even though it messed up your plans, you need it down there.

Sounds like your getting to ride a lot of trains!!! You must be in your glory!!! Were glad because it helps you to relax more.

N & D