Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Beach, the Ocean and an old friend!

Today started out rainy and cool, but before long the sun peaked out and it warmed up. Our newly arrived sabbatical guest from Oakland had asked if I would show him how to get to he beach. I never need much encouragement to go to the beach, so off we went. It turned out to be a moderately sunny day, but the wind was high so it was a bit like being sand blasted. But we managed. The picture that accompanies this posting was taken just before I ventured into the wind tossed raging ocean. I wasn’t in the water more than 10 minutes when I was upended by a ferocious wave and smashed into the bottom of the beach. I limped back to the blanket and began what I expect will be a lengthy healing process. Before the night came on I began to ache in my back and shoulder. Lesson: never take the force of the ocean for granted.

I met Dan and his visiting friends, Ric and Lexi Ambrose, for dinner at a German restaurant in The Rocks. (more on that location at another time.) Dan has known them for 30 years and what I came to realize was that Dick (as we called him then) and I had been in St. Bernard’s Seminary together 40 years ago! He and Lexi, both retired now, live in Birmingham, AL. They are touring Australia and Hawaii as part of their retirement travel. It was great fun to compare stories of when we were in the seminary together. They leave soon for a few weeks to see more of Australia and then will return for a few days. At that time we’ll reconnect and travel (by train of course) to the Blue Mountains which are about 2 hours away. What a small world this is! First, Dan Chapin (with whom I shared 3 years at St. Bernard's) and then, Ric Ambrose as well. Amazing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're looking really tan! Believe it or not today it's going to be 60 degrees above and we may sit in the sun on our deck! "Spring is sprung;Fall has riz; I wonder where the flowers iz." Burma Shave God Bless, Marty and George