Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Downtown Randwick


Tonight before dinner I went for a walk to a store in the center of Randwick . The streets in the business district were filled with folks as usual. As I walked to my destination I couldn't help but notice that the people I passed along the way were speaking many different languages! Cities in Australia are melting pots of people from around the world who are immigrating here. The first group of people I passed were speaking some language from Malaysea, further on down the block three people spoke in rapid fire Japanese. The next group were speaking German and the next French. I am sure that I also heard some familiar Italian swear words coming from inside one of the shops too! It made for a delightful cultural blend of ethnicity and diversity. So very different from the pews, parks and streets of Fairport. This is a big world and we are but a small part of it!

No comments: