Thursday, March 29, 2007

More Aussie English

It’s not just the words that are sometimes different, it’s the way and times that people interact. Last night we “sabbaticalers” went out to dinner with Sr. Judee. As she and I stood at the bar getting drinks for the others at the table, the barman looked at me and said in words that I could barely understand: “How you been feeling?” Now this is not a usual conversation that one would have with a bar tender in my (limited) experience. I didn’t have the context in which to comprehend what he was saying. Fortunately Judee saw my confusion and said: “Oh, we’re just fine mate.” It was a funny moment. I realized that this is Aussie talk for our: “How’s it going?” We really don’t expect an answer or even the truth. It’s just a way to exchange pleasantries. Cultures are different that way!

I do have some more language differences to share as well.

“G’Day” means “Hello”
“Lay by” means “lay away””Take away” means “take out”
“Good on ya’” means “Good for you!”
“No Worries” means “No sweat”
“Capsicums” are peppers – green, red, orange or yellow
“Bathers” are swim suits
A “torch” is a “flashlight”
And Aussies often use “s” where we would use a “z” like “authorisation”

It’s a great place. People are friendly and service people in shops actually seem pleased to be serving you as they take your money!

It is great fun, but I can see the end coming on the horizon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Skip, I heard on the BBC network that you Sydneysiders had a global warming day/night and turned off all the lights in Sydney. That must have been like the great northeast blackout of the late 1960's!
Thinking of leaving Australia? I'll email you about hooking up.
Ray
<{{{><