Friday, March 2, 2007

What the Aussie's are doing in Catholic Schools with the Internet

Today I took the "CountryLink" train to Hornsby where I was met by a priest of the Diocese of Broken Bay who pastors two communities which became one parish in July. It has a geographical name KU-RING-GAI CHASE CATHOLIC PARISH. We went off to see the parish office which is tempoarily located in a nearby shopping center. A new building is being constructed on one of the parish sites. Here's a link to their website: http://www.kccp.org.au/
Then we were off to see one of the schools in his parish. The kids there were prepared to show me around the classroom and their internet setup. They were very cute and excited to show off what they were learning.

It ties in very well with what I had learned at the Catholic Schools office a few days before. At one point we asked them to log onto our Assumption parish website. They did this with ease and delight. In less than 10 seconds they were viewing our parish miles 9700 away! When I asked them to click on the “webcam” tab, all 38 of them did so and I think we crashed the server. Amazing!

The day finished with a tour around the boundaries of the parish through a beautiful park like hilly environment called "Brooklyn." When it was time for me to go, we went to the train station where I caught a fast train back to Sydney Central and then a bus home. I arrived in time to join the other guys who love here for dinner. Yesterday marked the arrival of a priest from Oakland, so now we are four. One from Chicago, now one from California and two of us from New York State.

2 comments:

julie said...

Dear Fr. Ed,

Have been saving my Sunday afternoons to catch up with your week's activities. I'm in awe. And I love trains, so your travels by rail sound terrific.

Julie

Mary Ann & John said...

Hi Fr. Ed, We have just returned from a month in Florida. It's not quite Australia, but the weather beat Rochester. Your postings are a pleasure to follow. Continue to enjoy your journey. Mary Ann and John