Friday, January 26, 2007

Australia Day!






What a glorious summer day we had for Australia Day! This annual celebration is like our 4th of July. All sorts of folks and families converge upon the “CBD” to picnic, party, mill about and consume large quantities of various and sundry liquids. I went with two guys I have met here who are from the Archdiocese of Chicago. One of them, Pete has been here on Sabbatical since October, so he knows his way around. The other, Eddie, is visiting Pete, his classmate, and will be here for just another week. We went to the “centre” of Sydney via bus. So many things here are “backwards” from my perspective; like the cars and buses drive on the left hand side of the road. The two times that I have gone out in a car I have instinctively tried to enter the passengers side which here is the “drivers side.” Yesterday’s bus ride proved no less disorienting. I went to the wrong corner to catch the bus because I forgot which direction the traffic flows. It’s all part of being in a different culture! I am a quick study, but this will take some time to absorb.

Because it was Australia Day yesterday many of the streets were closed to vehicles and we got to walk about very freely. The parks are beautiful and grass is green (despite a severe draught). The Botanical Gardens offered a large variety of trees, flowers and critters like I’ve never seen before – like the Flying Fox Bats. As you can see these creatures hang up side down from big trees in the day time and cruise around by night. They are vegetarians and seems to have made the Botanical Gardens, where there are plenty of fig trees, their home.


As we rounded the bend in the gardens, we came upon the sight that is so familiar and so famous: The Sydney Bridge and Opera House. Both of these are on my “see again up close and in detail list.” The Sydney Harbor is magnificent and a challenge to take in. As we walked along toward Central Quay (say “key”), we can to the area where the CityRail and the Ferry Wharf converge. I look forward to getting more acquainted with the rail system, of course.

All in all it was a very exciting day and the crowds, including us, made their way home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fr. Ed,
I have enjoyed the blog. I also feel your pain on using technology in another country. I'm sure things will work out. Good luck and keep writing.
Tony

Unknown said...

Glad to hear your trip was safe and you're already enjoying Australia. It looks beautiful:)

Talk again soon stay safe

Brian

kathie murray said...

Fr. Ed - I was in Arizona at the same time you were. I could not believe how cold it was - record breaking. Isn't Sydney the loveliest city you have ever visited. The summer warmth must feel wonderful. Circular Quay is a marvelous place and a real hub for transportation. Be sure to get back to the Opera House. I am completely envious.

Anonymous said...

Father Ed, Glad to hear you are finally down under. Isn't it smashing!! We are getting snow and VERY cold weather in Fairport but Church is ticking along smoothly. Talked to Sister Bryan and she sounds good. Misses you as we all do but you know we are happy for you. Enjoy, there is so much to learn about Australia. Love the blog! Joyce& Harry