Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Day at the Beach


Sunday afternoon, after mass at one of the local churches, I loaded my pack pack and walked down to Coogee Beach. It was a nice 27 minute walk "downhill" to the beach. When I turned the corner in "downtown" Randwick, I caught my first sight of the Pacific Ocean. It was a windy but sunny day and the beach was packed. Summer holiday ends for grammar school kids on Jan 30, so that's why so many folks were getting in a day at the beach, I presume. I had a delightful time, but since I didn't apply sun screen to my back I am paying for it today!

I am doing well and enjoying myself as I get oriented to the Southern Hemisphere. For those who are wondering, the water doesn't seem to swirl in the sink in a counterclock wise direction. When I figure out how to upload video's I will give a propper illustration. I have not as yet mastered the art of looking in the correct direction when crossing the street. I find myself stepping in on coming traffic because I'm looking to the left, when it's the right from which cars a coming.

Off to do some more orientation with the transportation system.

No comments: