Monday, January 8, 2007

The send off!

My sabbatical farewells began at the Saturday evening Mass on the Feast of the Epiphany. The community threw a wonderful pot luck dinner that night and followed up with a coffee hour after all the Sunday Masses. During the Liturgy we had a ritual of transition as I passed the baton of leadership to Deacon Ron Tocci, who will the temporary Pastoral Administrator in my absence. I am very confident that our Pastoral Staff, Fr. William, Fr. Bill and the members of our community will carry on the ministry of the Lord in our parish with joyful service and great commitment while I am gone. Ron will be conducting the Symphony Orchestra which is our parish with confidence and competence.

I depart on Wednesday night (1/10) after dinner with our wonderful staff and spouses. I’ll be keeping a journal of my travels and adventures down under here. Enjoy!


This quote was given to me by Phil and Donna Yawman. I think it sets a great tone as I begin my travels.

This is the true joy in life – that being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one, that being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die. For the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. it’s a sort of splendid torch which I’ve got to hold up for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

George Bernard Shaw

6 comments:

Dave Gorski said...

The blog looks great! I look forward to reading all about your adventures and insights along the way.

ron tocci said...

Well, Ed....While you're gone, I'm placing my trust in the Supreme Conductor to help me keep the various parts of our Assumption orchestra working together to continue producing the beautiful sound you've created over the last 5 1/2 years...I'll do my best to smooth over any sour notes that may break the harmony, and I will be counting the days 'til I can hand the baton back to the Maestro.
I will miss your wit, wisdom and warmth.

Ron

Unknown said...

Safe journey to you, Ed. The board at GRCC will miss your guidance, and sends you prayers for safe keeping until we meet again. May the Spirit bring you wonderful experiences and enrichments. We look forward to your posts.

Marie Gibson

The J's said...

Hi Fr. Ed. Thanks for showing me where your blog is. Hope you have a good trip. I am teaching my sisters to pray the rosary and we will say one for you each night. Well that's it. See you in June. From,
Kevin J

Anonymous said...

not sure if this is working ..seeing as how i am not as techy as you. Will email if this doen'st work. vinny flynn

Anonymous said...

Well now that I see that it works..I just got word today that my request for sabbatical was approved by our bishop and I planning on doing the one you are on now. I have to begin the process so maybe you can help from that end. I have to find out what airline Dan took from Syracuse to Ca and on to Australia. Looks like you took United. too bad I wasn't able to make this one with you for old times sake. A bit different than Ein Karem, no? Take care, vinny