Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Trip on the Freeway


Today I took a trip in my rental car down to Garden Grove, CA to see the famous Crystal Cathedral. It was only 31 miles from Brentwood, but in Los Angeles one measures distance in time not miles. Doug estimated that it would take about 45 minutes to get there. Beth was more realistic and told me to take some CD's or food to occupy my time. There are less calories in CD's so I took them. Sure enough, it took me 1 hr and 47 minutes to get there on a Saturday afternoon. There were times when the 8 lane "freeway" was at a stand still. I learned that this is normal. My rental car has GPS and "Karen" was telling me what to do all along the way. Good thing, I was totally lost and would still be driving were it up to me alone. It struck me that the only thing "free" about the freeway was that there are no charges to drive there. The cost to nerves and frustration and start and stop driving stress is high. I was glad to finally be home and grateful that I don't have to deal with this every day.


The Crystal Cathedral was worth the trip and traffic. it is a huge glass building with steel tube inner supports. There was no service on Saturday afternoon so I could walk about and take pictures, some of which are here.

No comments: